What is MTL & DTL?
Aug 02, 2023
Vaping has become a popular alternative to smoking cigarettes, and there are two main types of vaping devices: Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) and Direct-To-Lung (DTL). In this blog post, we will discuss the difference between MTL and DTL vaping and the pros and cons of each.
Mouth-To-Lung (MTL) vaping is when the vapour is inhaled into the mouth first before being inhaled into the lungs. This is similar to the way a cigarette is smoked. MTL vaping devices typically have a tighter airflow and a higher resistance coil, which results in less vapour production and a stronger throat hit. This makes MTL vaping devices a good option for people who are trying to quit smoking cigarettes, as it can mimic the sensation of smoking.
Direct-To-Lung (DTL) vaping is when the vapour is inhaled directly into the lungs. This is different from smoking, as the vapour is not held in the mouth first. DTL vaping devices typically have a looser airflow and a lower resistance coil, which results in more vapour production and a weaker throat hit. This makes DTL vaping devices a good option for people who are looking for a more powerful and satisfying vaping experience.
Pros of MTL vaping
- More Discreet: MTL vaping produces less vapour than direct to lung (DTL) vaping, making it a more discreet vaping option that is less likely to draw attention.
- Longer Battery Life: MTL vaping requires less power to operate than DTL vaping, resulting in longer battery life for the device.
- Cost-effective: Since MTL vaping requires less e-liquid consumption and produces less vapour, it can be more cost-effective than DTL vaping.
- Better Nicotine Absorption: MTL vaping allows for better nicotine absorption because the vapour is held in the mouth before being drawn into the lungs, allowing more time for absorption.
- Easier to Switch from Smoking: MTL vaping more closely mimics the sensation of smoking, making it a good option for those who are trying to quit smoking.
Pros of DTL vaping
- Larger vapour Production: DTL vaping produces larger clouds of vapour than MTL vaping, which can be more satisfying for users who want bigger clouds.
- Better Airflow: DTL vaping allows for a more open airflow, which can be more comfortable and pleasant for some users.
- Better flavour Production: DTL vaping can produce a more intense flavour experience because the vapour is drawn directly into the lungs, allowing the taste buds to fully savour the flavour.
- More Customisation: DTL vaping allows for more customisation options, such as adjusting wattage, coil resistance, and airflow settings, which can result in a more personalised vaping experience.
- Better for High VG E-liquids: DTL vaping is better suited for high VG (vegetable glycerine) e-liquids, which can produce larger clouds of vapour and provide a smoother vaping experience.
Cons of MTL vaping
- Reduced vapour Production: MTL vaping typically produces less vapour than direct lung (DL) vaping, which may be unsatisfying for users who want to see more vapour.
- Restricted Airflow: MTL vaping requires a tighter draw than DTL vaping, which can result in a restricted airflow that some users find uncomfortable or unpleasant.
- Limited vapour Volume: Since the vapour is held in the mouth before inhaling, MTL vaping may not deliver as much vapour volume as DTL vaping.
- Less Intense flavour: MTL vaping can result in a less intense flavour experience because the vapour is first held in the mouth before being drawn into the lungs.
Cons of DTL vaping
- Harsh vapour Production: DTL vaping produces a larger volume of vapour, which can be harsh on the throat and lungs, especially for those who are not used to it. You need to make sure that the nicotine strength you are using is no more than 6mg (milligrams). Using a lower nicotine strength liquid will reduce the harshness of the vapour.
- Increased E-liquid Consumption: Since DTL vaping produces more vapour, it requires more e-liquid consumption, which can be costly for frequent users.
- Decreased Battery Life: DTL vaping requires higher wattages, which can result in decreased battery life for the device.
- Less Discreet: DTL vaping produces large clouds of vapour, which can be less discreet and draw more attention than MTL vaping.
- Limited Coil Life: DTL vaping can be hard on coils, causing them to wear out more quickly, which can also be costly for frequent users.
In conclusion, both mouth to lung (MTL) and direct to lung (DTL) vaping styles have their pros and cons, and the choice ultimately comes down to personal preference. MTL vaping provides a more flavourful and discreet vaping experience while being more cost-effective and easier on the device's battery. It is also a good option if you are trying to quit smoking or want a more comfortable nicotine delivery system.
DTL vaping, on the other hand, can provide a more intense and customizable vaping experience with larger clouds of vapour. It can also be better suited for high VG e-liquids and provide a more open and comfortable airflow. However, it may not be as discreet as MTL vaping due to the large amount of visual vapour.
Ultimately, it is important for you to understand the differences between the two styles and experiment with both to find the one that suits your needs and preferences the best.